Sunday, August 10, 2014

Letter Dated June 30, 2014

Heyy Everyone! :) 
So....I'm really sorry that I really am not very good at keeping up on these things! No excuses...besides the fact that I'm just a big slacker!! 
So I'll kinda fill you in on a few things that happened this week. :)  A while back we went and did service at this "dentistry from the heart" thing, and it was a thing that some dentists and an oral surgeon did dental work for free in the community, and we volunteered, so we helped people get all signed up and everything, and while we were there, the elders won some tickets to the Pittsburgh Zoo, so we got permission from our Mission President to have a member take us to the Zoo.:) So we finally used one of our P-days to do it before Sister Larsen got transferred, and it was sooo fun! :) That was the first time that I had been to the zoo in a really REALLY long time!  It was a pretty cool place, and by far the elephants were my favorite part! :) It was a lot of fun, I was talking with Sister Larsen and I talked about how going to the zoo was probably the most vacation-ish thing I've done on my mission! haha!  It was a blast, and definitely a stress reliever, because I always hate transfers.  Not that I've really had any problems with my new companions before, I just really hate saying goodbye.  It was really sad that Sister Larsen was leaving, she was the one that trained me on how to be a Sister Training Leader, and so now I get to teach my new companion how to be a Sister Training Leader! So that's exciting! Hopefully I do as good of a job as Sister Larsen did! Then after we got home from the Zoo, we had lunch with some members in the ward, it was with Kevin and his mom.  Kevin is a recent convert that the elders baptized last transfer, and he is so solid! Elder Bashein and Elder Larsen were the ones that taught him, and Elder Bashein was leaving, so they had us all over for lunch to say bye. It was really cool though because they're from Micronesia, and Kevins mom made us some tapioca, That was the first time that I've ever eaten that outside of like...tapioca pudding! So that was really interesting! :) Then we got to go say goodbye to a few other people in the ward for Sister Larsen.
Tuesday was transfer day! So we spent a lot of time making sure Sister Larsen got all of her stuff and doing the last minute to-do things before we drove to Greentree for the transfer meeting. I think that this transfer meeting was really neat to go to, it was President Tophams last transfer meeting of his mission, and he was cracking a lot of jokes and was just so sweet! :) I'm really glad that I got to be a part of it! :) My new Companion is Sister Jones,  She's from Southern Californa, and she's very sweet! :) She's been out for 6 months, and Butler is her second area...and it's a little bit different than her last area...she served in part of Pittsburgh before she came to Butler, and her last area was a walk area...so this is all foreign to her being in a drive area with no big cities around! haha she feels like we have no one to talk to...I'd probably feel that way too coming from Pittsburgh! That place is HUGE! We've had a really great week, we've been working hard and we've been trying to find people to teach! It's kinda creepy cause we're already saying the same things at the same time...haha! We laugh about it! 
We've also been having some crazy adventures this week in our apartment.  This week has been SOOO hot and SOOO humid....and we have this little window unit in our apartment....so our room is like the only place we camp out when we get to be home...it's the only place cool enough to function. :) haha I really am actually kind of enjoying this Humidity hot thing...it's something I've never had to deal with before. :) The one part we haven't been liking about our adventures is the massive spiders we keep finding! They are the freakiest things ever!! They look like daddy long legs on steroids! Freaky! 
We got to teach some really awesome lessons this week to some less-active members in our area. :) it's wonderful because both Sister Jones and I are social, so conversation is suuper awesome with everyone that we're visiting. :) I know that Sister Jones is so meant to be here, and I feel like we'll find a lot of success! :) One lesson in particular, a sister was telling us about her past experiences in the church with her ex-husband, and she has just walked a really long,and hard road, and she is just amazing! She has such a conviction of the Savior, and of the Book of Mormon, and she really wants to start coming back to church to keep ALL of her covenants.  She is just a rock star! She has such a strong testimony, and I can't wait for her to come back to church, we definitely need her! :) 
We also got to go to lunch with the cutest grandma named Stella! :) He son is a convert to the church and has served a mission and is now married and has children that have served missions, and we went to visit her a while ago, and she insisted on feeding us even though she wasn't interested in learning more about the gospel.  So she took us and the Elders to lunch this week at a place on main street called Natilies. And she is just so sweet! :) she really is a very neat lady! and she just kept mentioning how wonderful she thought it was that we were serving missions and we talked about her family and such.   She told us that she strongly considering joining the church when her first grandson got baptized a member because he told her, "Grandma, I just know that you'll be baptized too when I get baptized into the church." and she said she thought really long and hard, but she decided to stay strong in her faith.  She told us that her son is always talking to her about the church and how he wants her to join....those dang Mormons...we're a persistent bunch aren't we? ;) haha! it really was a really neat experience, and we got to pray with her, and read from the scriptures with her right there in the restaurant.  :) it was wonderful! :)
Oh man...and I forgot to mention.  I had to give a talk on Sunday.  It was about preparing for missions...so it wasn't too hard. :) I just shared all the things I WISHED I would have done to be more prepared! :) haha!
The Butler ward and area are awesome! :) I love it so much here! I can't even tell you! They are working so hard to be missionary minded, and I think it's just great! :) I want you all to know, that I know without a shadow of a doubt that this church is the true church. I know that it was restored by our prophet Joseph Smith, as he went to the Father in humble prayer to find for  himself the truth.  I know that our Heavenly Father is so mindful of us, and hears our prayers.  I know that He loves us, and helps us to have the experiences we need to help us become the people that he needs us to be.  I love you all so much! :) I hope that you're all killin it in your missionary work! Because it is literally the best work to be involved in! I love you tons! :) Keep up the hard work.  A super awesome scripture I shared this week was found in 3 Nephi 5:13
It says, "Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life." Isn't this a boss scripture?! :) we are all called to this work of salvation as we are disciples of Jesus Christ. :) We don't just have to be set apart missionaries to help others have the joy of eternal life. :) I love Yinz! :) 
Love,
Sister Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment